Entering Santa Rosa, New Mexico tourists pass this historical marker. Santa Rosa on U.S. Highway 66 & 54 was founded in 1865 and has an Altitude of 4,616 ft. Located in the grama grass country, on the Pecos River. Its main business is livestock.
The Spanish explorer Antonio de Espejo passed through this area in 1583, following a centuries old trail blazed by Comanche Indians seeking buffalo herds. The first settlement here was called Agua Negra Chiquita (Little Black Water) and sprang up after Don Celso Baca, a rancher from Mexico, brought cattle to the area in 1865.